Tuesday, May 03, 2005

Post-Adventure Post

I made a big circle around Britain over the course of 4 weeks in March and April. Here is that circle's story, greatly condensed into photo essay form...



Cardiff, Day 2-3

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Cardiff Castle in the heart of the Welsh capital (100 years old, Europe's youngest!). The chaps out front are rugby fans, just a few of the dozens and dozens of thousands who descended on the city for the Grand Slam match against Ireland.

St. David's, Day 3-4

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Two pilgrimages to St. David's once equaled one to Rome and three equaled one to Jerusalem. It's the smallest city in Britain, only classified as a city because of its Bishop's Palace and St. David's Cathedral. This is a shrine at a spring near the birthplace of St. David, the patron saint of Wales, the water of which is said to cure illness. I'm still diabetic though.

Llanberis, Day 5-6

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Here I am on the side of Mt. Snowdon, the tallest mountain in England and Wales. The first team to climb Mt. Everest trained here. Llanberis is the little lakeside town at its foot.

Shrewsbury, Day 7-8

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Back in England now. A pleasant little city surrounded by a river, Shrewsbury is known for its bounty of Tudor-style buildings like this one. I did laundry here.

Chester, Day 8-9

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Hey look it's Chester. I went to the Easter Sunday service in Chester Cathedral.

Carlisle, Day 10-11

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Sorry Carlisle, but you were my least interesting destination. Here is Carlisle Castle, north of the city.

Pitlochry, Day 12-13

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Pitlochry is south of the Scottish Highlands. The landscapes here reminded me of the American Pacific Northwest.

Stromness, Day 14-15

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

The nothernmost point of my journey, on Orkney Island. I hired a bicycle and rode around to a few of the ancient monuments there. This is the Ring of Brodgar. Note the rainbow on the right.

Edinburgh, Day 16-18

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Edinburgh... Well, it's more like Edinburgh than any other city I've ever been in, I'll tell you that much. This view of the city is taken from Holyrood Park, the extensive wilderness literally adjacent to the city center.

Jedburgh, Day 19

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

My shortest stay was in Jedburgh in the Scottish Borders, and I only had time to go to the abbey ruins, pictured here.

Durham, Day 20-21

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Back again into England. I love Durham. At just about every one of my destinations there were a cathedral and a castle, and Durham might have had my favorite of both. You can see both on the left.

York, Day 22-23

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Basically, York is York Minster, the second biggest cathedral in Western Europe. Here is a view of the interior. A note about the cross: I have very mixed feelings about cathedrals, due partly no doubt to my Protestant upbringing. I feel like the point of it all can be easily lost in the endless monuments, stained glass windows, corbelled arches, clerestory windows, etc. etc. I have other reasons as well. Perhaps I'll make a post about it. But this cross was easily the greatest thing I saw in any of the many cathedrals I visited. Placed centrally in front of the organ, hanging in mid-air at the crossing, among the insane opulence of this massive minster, a clear, unembellished and unmistakeable reminder of what it's all about.

Edale, Day 24

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Edale is a tiny village in the Peak District, one of England's most popular national parks. The area was serenely peaceful and quiet, which was very welcome between the busy tourist meccas of York and Oxford. The town of Castleton is behind me.

Oxford, Day 25-26

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Everyone knows that Oxford was the home of C.S. Lewis, but there's also a little university called, perhaps not coincidentally, "Oxford," and I was surprised at the apparent popularity it had with the tourists. I guess it's pretty old. Anyway, here I am in the much more historically significant structure, the Eagle & Child pub, where Mr. Lewis met with J.R.R. Tolkien and other colleagues every Tuesday around noon. This picture was taken on Tuesday around noon. Later, my circuitous pilgrimage ended when I walked to Headington Quarry to see Mr. Lewis' home, church and grave. Pictured, L-R: Tolkien, Lewis, Goddard.

University of Sussex, Day 27-Present

So now I'm back at the university, hard at work once again...

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Matt. You better damn well shave before I see you.
--Carly

10:34 AM  
Blogger Jennifer N. said...

Did you make it to the Lake District? No Bowness or Ambleside?

BTW, you just detailed all of my family vacations to England in one post. If there's a cathedral... I've been there! I love it.

11:45 AM  
Blogger Matthew said...

Car -

Why?

Jen -

I took a train through the Lake District, but didn't get off.

I've never heard of Bowness or Ambleside. Where are they? I feel like fourteen destinations in 4 weeks was plenty, but if they're nearby I might still be able to make it.

7:57 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think you managed to see the essence of England in a remarkable nutshell. Perhaps it will bring you back there again for longer, more detailed opportunities. Very nice photos by the way, even the guy with the scruffy beard-did you mention his name was Goddard? A strangely familiar ring to it. Something to do with rockets I think. Enjoy it all.

7:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

love the scruffy, bearded look!

Your photography is wonderful. Thanks for the glimpse into your journey. Very nice.

Your photo inside York cathedral with your comments was thought-provoking. Thanks!

2:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just curious - whats "Ring of Brodgar," and what did you like so much about Durham?

2:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

A modern Taliesin, waxing poetic from the slopes of Snowden!

8:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You can like the beard, m'dear, but to me, you just look ridiculous. In my heart, you will always be clean shaven.
--Car to the ly.

10:11 PM  
Blogger Matthew said...

RKG -
Ring of Brodgar is one of the many standing stone circles on Orkney Island. Of those, it has some of the largest stones, as well as some oddly shaped ones.

I like Durham because: its castle is still in use as a university residence hall, which gives it a nice advantage over the many castles that are now just musty relics.

Its cathedral is just... massive, with pillars the height and circumference of which are equal. it has unique geometrically based decorations, and just really stood out in my mind before all the other cathedrals I saw.

Durham is also where I had an epiphany of sorts, re: my career goals. Outside the Cathedral, specifically.

Also, I stayed at St. John's College, Durham University. Durham U. is the third oldest university in England behind Oxbridge, so those two nights were probably the closest I'll ever get to attending Oxford. (Sounds nonsensical, but that's how it felt.)

Carly - If it makes any difference, whether or not I (or anyone else for that matter) like the beard doesn't enter into it. I'm bearded on the outside because bearded is how I feel on the inside.

4:56 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home