Wednesday, May 25, 2005

The Left's Exodus

I feel like I've seen a lot of articles in the past few months written by lifelong members of the "progressive" political left who are fed up with the blindness to the nature of the 21st century world and the rejection of traditionally liberal values (such as, oh I don't know, liberty) that now characterize the left. But this one by Keith Thompson I particularly like. He sums up just about all the reasons why I am not, as he is no longer, a member of the Western cultural left. This includes their refusal to call a spade a spade in the case of evil, their defense of terrorists who are the antithesis of goodness and honor, their support for equality at the expense of equal rights in the form of unjust discrimination, their abandonment of free speech in the form of campus speech codes, and their rejection of the ideas of personal responsibility and moral culpability (phew).

America must now focus on creating healthy, self-actualizing individuals committed to taking responsibility for their lives, developing their talents, honing their skills and intellects, fostering emotional and moral intelligence, all in all contributing to the advancement of the human condition.

Normally this article is the kind of thing that I love to read, but despair of it ever reaching the necessary audience -- that is, those members of the left who haven't completely lost their sense yet. But look where it was published -- the San Francisco Chronicle.

I would like to put Mr. Thompson's concluding paragraph next to one of my favorite bits of wisdom from C.S. Lewis. Mr. Thompson:

...I have come to believe, and gladly join with others who have discovered for themselves, that the single most important thing a genuinely liberal person can do now is walk away from the house the left has built. The renewal of any tradition that deserves the name "progressive" becomes more likely with each step in a better direction.

Mr. Lewis:
If you are on the wrong road, progress means doing an about-turn and walking back to the right road; and in that case the man who turns back soonest is the most progressive man.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ouch, burn. I need some ice for that thing.
-Carly

8:11 AM  
Blogger Matthew said...

What, for the cultural and political left? I'm not sure that will help.

8:38 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

True, it needs bandaging. But I still whole heartedly believe that our ideas are not in the wrong.
--Carly

11:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great parallel paragragha! I do hope you will send a copy of your comments to Thompson.

10:52 AM  
Blogger Matthew said...

Carly -

I can only assume you mean the ideas cited by Mr. Thompson as characteristic of the left. In which case, I don't really know what to say.

DD -

That's an interesting idea. I only hesitate because I have a feeling Mr. Thompson will be getting lots of mail from happy conservatives ready to welcome him with open arms as "one of us" and praise him for his criticisms of his ideological home. If I were him, that kind of thing would only make me want to go back to where I came from.

Thank you, both, for your comments.

12:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home